Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Breast Swelling...

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 4, 2008
  • 08:45 AM

Hi, i'm an 18 year old female and i have been suffering from breast swelling of my right breast for about 3 months now. it started as a small lump, then the lump dissapeared and the breast swelled with fluid about 2 cup sizes bigger than my other breast. i was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism, which may have something to do with this, but im really not sure. my doctors told me to avoid caffiene, and i have, but its not making a difference. i was also told that this kind of swelling occurs a lot for girls around menstration, but i have not noticed it dissapearing or reappearing with the pattern of my menstration. it has remained swelled since i first noticed the lump. so what i want to ask is, has anyone had something similar happen, or know anything about what this might be? this whole thing has really affected my self esteem, and im worrying alot about what it might be.

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

  • Hi!I'm a medical college student doing final yr.I have read your posting . do you have whitish discharge from the affected breast? is there any pain? if so, does it shows changing intensity with your menstrual cycle?do you have any other complaints other than what you have mentioned previously? Yes i agree thyroid has got some role with hypothalamus-pituitory-ovarian-axis,and probably i think that might be the reason for your complaints.why don't you consult an endocrinologist probably HE may find the solution for it but prior to that consult your O.G.cian and proceed with her opinion. post the details after your consultation. Awaiting your REPLY ! bye.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
  • ask your doctor about a mammogram...sounds like a cyst, but she needs to take a look...could be hormones and glands, too.
    Monsterlove 2921 Replies Flag this Response
  • I believe it is possible to Breast Cancer, if anything go to a gynecologist and be checked for reassurance that it isn't, this is the only information I can give, and for that I'm sorry. :(
    Tiedye 31 Replies Flag this Response
  • they can tell if it's just a cyst or if it needs further treatment; your regular doctor can arrange for a mammo and if necessary, a follow up visit with a surgeon.
    Monsterlove 2921 Replies Flag this Response
  • They can also do an ultrasound examination. It's probably nothing serious, but please have it examined. Good luck, Tin!
    Felsen 510 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.