Discussions By Condition: General well-being

Im not sure if this is where im supposed to post this...but i need advice

Posted In: General well-being 10 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 29, 2007
  • 05:19 AM

I went to a party and had a couple drinks...i wasnt even drun..well i got really tired and went home and went to bed...then i woke up in the middle of the night shivering horribly...my teeth were clanging together...and i was covered in chill umps...i was shivering so hard i couldnt talk and it was hard to take a good breath...my husband finally got me warmed up bu wrapping me in blankets and cuddling up to me...any idea what could have caused this?

Reply Flag this Discussion

10 Replies:

  • Well, could have been a poison, food poisoning or something in the ice...could be the flu, short lived...or an allergy to alcohol or some dye in the drinks...
    Monsterlove 2921 Replies
    • October 31, 2007
    • 05:58 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • If this episode is an isolated one, the I wouldn't worry to much about it. Should you have another episode, you would need to see a doctor to have it looke into. There are many different causes. Hope this helps Kiera
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • October 31, 2007
    • 07:00 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • thank you both for your advice...i just hope it never happens again!!! it was scary!!!
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • November 5, 2007
    • 04:06 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • I went to a party and had a couple drinks...i wasnt even drun..well i got really tired and went home and went to bed...then i woke up in the middle of the night shivering horribly...my teeth were clanging together...and i was covered in chill umps...i was shivering so hard i couldnt talk and it was hard to take a good breath...my husband finally got me warmed up bu wrapping me in blankets and cuddling up to me...any idea what could have caused this?You might be allergic to Sulfites...did you drink red wine?Some people react to the flavonoids or the sulfites in drinks.Best,Fruity.
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies
    • November 7, 2007
    • 09:09 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • no i drank smirnoff green apple, watermelon, and cherry!!
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • December 31, 2007
    • 11:06 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • I'm going to guess that you either had bacteria in the ice in your drink (this can make you VERY unwell) OR, someone 'dropped' something in your drink without your knowledge. Unfortunately, there are a lot of idiots in the world.Hope you are better. In future, do not accept ice in your drinks and do not take your hands off your drink when at a party.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • January 29, 2008
    • 04:39 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, How long ago did this happen? What did you drink? Beer, wine, mixed drinks? Did you eat anything at this party? Could be you had a mild case of food poisoning. Did you have a fever? (I know that everytime I've had a bout of chills, it was followed by a fever of 102 degrees or higher.) That would indicate an infection of some kind, like a cold or flu. If this only happened once and you had no other symptoms, it was probably nothing to be alarmed about. I hope you're feeling better now. :)
    ItsDawn 7 Replies
    • February 4, 2008
    • 09:18 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • no i drank smirnoff green apple, watermelon, and cherry!!Fruity might be right about the allergic reaction to sulfites. If u look on the back of Smirnoff Ice bottles it says right on the label "contains sulfites." If you are allergic, having exposure to sulfites in drinks and food can cause a severe (and in very rare cases fatal) asthmatic reaction. Sulfites are produced naturally during the fermentation process (so you probably are exposed to them in some beers, soy sauces, and other fermented liquids). Only 0.01% - 01.0% of the U.S. population is estimated to be allergic to sulfites (probably fewer than 1 in 100 people). Sulfites are known to increase asthma symptoms in approximately 5% of asthmatics, particularly in adults with severe disease. Numerous well-controlled studies show that some asthmatics can have severe asthma symptoms with eating sulfite-containing foods/beverages or inhaling sulfite fumes or vapors. Other people have experienced severe reactions from sulfite-containing medications, including intravenous drugs and inhaled medications. These reactions included flushing, hives and a drop in lung function as a result of the medications being given. The FDA now requires that any food containing more than 10 parts per million (ppm) concentration of sulfites to be declared on the label. Foods that contain less than 10 ppm of sulfites have not been shown to cause symptoms, even in people allergic to sulfites.Foods that contain sulfites:Greater than 100 ppm of sulfites (very high levels, strict avoidance advised in people with sulfite allergy):dried fruits (excluding dark raisins and prunes) bottled lemon juice (non-frozen) bottled lime juice (non-frozen) wine molasses sauerkraut (and its juice) grape juices (white, white sparkling, pink sparkling, red sparkling) pickled cocktail onionsBetween 50 and 99.9 ppm of sulfites (moderate to high levels of sulfite, avoidance advised in people with sulfite allergy) :dried potatoes wine vinegar gravies/sauces fruit toppings Maraschino cherriesBetween 10 and 49.9 ppm of sulfites (low to moderate levels of sulfite, may cause symptoms in people with severe sulfite allergy):pectin fresh shrimp corn syrup pickled peppers pickles/relish corn starch hominy frozen potatoes maple syrup imported jams and jellies fresh mushrooms imported sausages and meats cordials (alcoholic) dehydrated vegetables various cheeses corn bread/muffin mix canned/jarred clams ***m chowder avocado dip/guacamole imported fruit juices and soft drinks ciders and cider vinegarsLess than 10 ppm of sulfites (very low sulfite levels, generally do not pose a risk, even for people with sulfite allergy):malt vinegar canned potatoes beer dry soup mix soft drinks frozen pizza and pie dough beet sugar gelatin coconut fresh fruit salad domestic jams and jellies crackers cookies grapes high fructose corn syrup
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Could you have possibly gone into moderate hypothermia? Alcohol will definitely mask the signs of early hypothermia, so can sleeping (at a lesser extent). Moderate hypothermia is when you shiver the most IIRC.But hypothermia sleeping in a bedroom? Very unlikely. Unless you were exposed to a stream of cold air (opened window), or were exposed to prolonged cold in the few days prior to the event or got real cold while going back home... Poisoning is more plausible. I'd definitely look into it if it ever happened again.
    geenie 39 Replies Flag this Response
  • Sounds like the advice about the ice, & especially the sulfite, sulfides, sulfates, may be the best as I had identical symptoms, more then once, from wine on one occasion and another was from shell fish, in which case it was Iodine toxicity. Oysters can be from an area where sulfite, sulfides, sulfates, and other toxic elements, i.e. water soluble metals such as mercury, are filtered and accumulated into them through out their growth. This is true as well with other delicious delicacies, such as abalone, muscles, clams, shrimp, crayfish, prawns, crabs, and many more all accumulate in them. People who eat them regularly are often immune to the allergic short term reactions, or those frightening symptoms you experienced, although even the locals are not immune to the long term effects. It is getting to be less fun to go to parties where you cannot be sure of where some of the delicious foods and drinks are sourced. I would suggest you do have an across the board (all) allergies test run by a (Dermatology) skin specialist. Even though the symptoms were mainly internal, aside from the umps. My hope and prayers are that you do find out whether you have any specific allergic reactions to certain foods, and or food additives. It would help give you some peace of mind I would think. And after all, that is what is all so important in our over all health, peace of mind. May You Be Blessed With the Peace of True Love Always. Alohaman on Kauai
    alohaman 2 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.