So I'm posting here because I'm frustrated. I've had GI symptoms for as long as I can remember and have never received a diagnosis. My doctors (and there have been quite a few...) have chosen to treat me for GERD or IBS based on some of my symptoms but not all of them. I'm irritated because none of the symptom-based treatments have worked - at all - yet the doctors continue to treat symptomatically rather than attempting to find the underlying cause. If anyone has had similar symptoms please help me!
1) about me: 31 years old, average physique (BMI 21), light smoker, moderate exercise, reasonably healthy diet (I admit to the occasional milkshake and/or full sized bag of potato chips...) I have eaten gluten free for 6 years which has helped a little but not dramatically, don't have any anxiety or stress at this point in my life... aside from the stomach thing
2) my symptoms:
all the time, I gag about 50+ times per day, without nausea (though repeated gagging sometimes causes nausea), worse with excersise
* burning pain
all over my abdomen from the ribcage to my lower intestine. It is different from heartburn (I sometimes get that too, but it feels completely different!), pain can be described like having hot bacon grease poured directly into stomach/intestines, is not relieved by antacids or by food, is not made worse by food
* abdominal tenderness
all over - if I push anywhere on my abdomen it hurts!
with or without eating, sometimes looks as if I've swallowed a watermelon
* shortness of breath and pounding heart
not asthma or smoking related - this started when I was about 10, no relief from inhalers
about 2-3 times per week, no clear relationship to what I've eaten that day, sometimes floating, always foul smelling (sorry for TMI)
3) Medical tests
* blood work (negative for everything, including celiac and h pylori)
* abdominal ultrasound (negative)
* upper GI series with barium (negative)
* EKG (negative)
4) Medical and other treatments
* prescription and non prescription antacids (not even remotely effective)
* anti depressants (not effective)
* anti nausea medications (mildly effective but not enough to justify continuation)
* anti anxiety medications (not effective)
* acupuncture (mildly effective - ongoing treatment)
* food elimination diet (mildly effective - some gluten sensitivity but gf diet not relieving most symptoms)
Please give your opinions, I'm sick of gagging and gasping and clutching my burning torso!
Know the five types of psoriasis and how to spot flares.
Newer diabetes treatments can suppress appetite and aid weight loss.
Try these tips to get your salivary glands back into action.
Constipation is a common side effect of opioid and narcotic pain medicines.
Is it sensitive skin or something else?