Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

blood in vomit...

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 5 Replies
  • Posted By: veronicarocka
  • April 16, 2007
  • 11:04 PM

I'm a 20 year old female that was pretty stupid over the weekend and drank pretty excessively and ended up vomiting. I could remember thinking that I saw blood in the vomit because the vomit was clear, I hadn't eaten anything that day and we were drinking vodka, and the next morning my friends said that I had been vomiting blood. The past couple of days I've had a slight burning sensation in my stomach and up to my chest. I'm not hungry, which I thought might've been from the hangover, but the burning is starting to worry me...I only vomited a small amount of blood and this was friday night and I haven't vomited or passed any blood any other way. Does anyone know if this was most likely caused by drinking too much or if I need to get to the ER like right now? I don't know if it makes a difference but I am a smoker about a pack a day and I had drank more than usual on an empty stomach. Any suggestions or help is much appreciated!

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

  • Yikes. Are you feeling at all weak or light-headed? That could indicate blood loss. Since you vomited, have your stools been unusually dark? (I realize you probably don't usually look.) If so, that could indicate blood passing through your GI tract. And the continuing burning sensation is not a good sign.Your question is really too serious for this forum. Most hospitals have a nurse you can call 24/7 about things like this, who can give you an idea of how serious it is. If it was me, I'd get my phone book and call right now.Oh ... and good luck.
    AmateurHistorian 74 Replies Flag this Response
  • There's no blood passing anyway else. The burning is going away now, and I don't feel weak or lightheaded. As it happened on friday and it's now tuesday, I'm not too concerned, but I just don't know much about this kind of thing, you know?
    veronicarocka 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I just don't know much about this kind of thing, you know?Sure, and it's really good that you asked someone. I'm glad you're feeling better. Maybe the burning was just residual heartburn as your body was recovering from all the alcohol. It's been awhile since I drank that much, but I think I recall some heartburn while I was detoxing. I hope everything settles back to normal soon. :)
    AmateurHistorian 74 Replies Flag this Response
  • Veronica, as long as it was bright red (fresh) blood you're probably alright. It could have been from irritation and violent vomiting. I wouldn't drink that much again though, especially on an empty stomach!And...keep an eye on things. If the burning continues, or you develop new symptoms don't hesitate to go to your dr. There's always the chance that this is the first symptom of something more going on, kwim?
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
  • yesterday, i popped 2 extacy pills, and 6 5htps and i think i overdosed. I started vomiting and it was like a clear fluid with some hint of red. after i threw it all up, I felt better. help me too :{
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.