Discussions By Condition: Eye conditions

I was told I have a split pupil by an optometrist, but Google shows no helpful explanations to this?

Posted In: Eye conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 9, 2014
  • 00:41 AM

When I was about 7 years old, I went to the local optometrist because I could never see well out of either eye. My right eye was corrected with glasses, but the optometrist told me my left eye was not correctable because I have a "split pupil", and I recently decided to pursue a career in the navy as a pilot. Obviously you have to have perfect vision to fly airplanes. The optometrist explained the condition saying that it was caused by a film that covers your eyes when you born failing to recede properly, leaving a strand of film across my eye. However, my Google research has been inconclusive to say the best. I was just wondering what an official name for this condition might be, if it is whats really wrong, or what the real issue is. There is not really anything visibly wrong with my eye, although, I MIGHT be able to slightly see some sort of white line, but my magnifying glass is not exactly a scientific tool. Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

  • Hi! I believe your condition is a slight Unilateral Coloboma. I am no optometrist, but if no physical changes in your iris are to be seen perhaps it is something else, for the effects of Coloboma vary with it's intensity.
    Also, if you have very pale skin and hair I'd reccomend going to a doctor and check if you are an optical albino, that can be the cause of your poor sight in your other eye. Hope this was of help to you.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • December 8, 2015
    • 00:23 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.