Discussions By Condition: Eye conditions

Definitions and diagnosis of strabismus/amblyopia

Posted In: Eye conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 26, 2007
  • 11:24 PM

Hoping someone can help. I had eye surgery to correct what I am told was "lazy eye" when I was really young (3 or so, I don't remember it - I say 'I am told' as I don't know the details and have read online that it is sometimes called that when it shouldn't be. So I can't say for sure what the problem was).

Now I'm 27 and I know one of my eyes wanders outward, which is a huge cause of awkwardness for me and makes me super self-conscious. I don't have glasses or contacts and actually, I'm kinda scared to go see someone (maybe it's a childhood trauma). I'm starting at least to research it on the internet. Looking up 'lazy eye' gives me 'amblyopia', but I've also found 'strabismus' for 'deviating/wandering eye'. So what's the difference? I read that strabismus may be easily noticed (which my problem is), but amblyopia may not (and is not correctable by glasses or contact lenses, eek!). I don't have double vision or headaches and I can see things in 3D and judge distances (I think), and I can actually turn my eyes to look 'normal' if I try, it's just that the vision in my 'bad' eye is terrible and so I can't see much even if I try and make it look okay.

So I'm wondering what the problem is - strabismus or amblyopia. I think it's at least the former (as it seems to fit the definition of exotropia, a type of strabismus) but how does the latter present itself? Do contact lenses help? What does surgery involve? And who in Canada can I go to in order at least to get contacts if that helps, an optician, opthalmologist, or someone else?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

  • Amblyopia, as I understand it, is a condition where the eyes do not align but can often be treated with an eye patch, or perhaps glasses. I have strabismus, and I also had surgery as a child, as did my brother. We both had to repeat the surgery as adults to treat turned out eyes. My brother has had two surgeries as an adult; I've had one. But my strabismus has also returned, and I now wear special glasses with prisms in the lenses to correct it. There are no guarantees that this surgery will be successful, or that it will last. My advice is to find the best opthalmologist you can who has experience in treating strabismus. Good luck!
    lazyeyedlady 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.