and no, I'm not talking about diabetes or any of her cousins.
Here's the story:
My friend suddenly developed a condition that has manifested as extreme carbohydrate sensitivity with the following symptoms (listed below and quoted from his text) - what I'm asking here is if anyone has ever even HEARD of this condition or has a clue about what it is or what is happening. He's been tested for diabetes and hypoglycemia (though he has not had a glucose tolerance test - which I believe he should have) and those tests are negative. I have tested his blood sugar when I saw him eating carbs and it is normal - not low OR high. But the addition of the digestive symptoms makes me think it is more than simple carb sensitivity...any ideas at all would be of MAJOR help:
These symptoms come on quickly after eating the carbs. The severity of these symptoms are proportional to the amount of carbs eaten. The symptoms are listed in the order they appear:
1a) Extreme and uncontrollable lethargy
1b) Confusion and moodiness
2) Deep and lengthy sleep. (It's lasted as long as 18 hours in the worse cases, and is usually at least 10 or 12 hours. By "deep", I mean that I sleep through EVERYTHING. Alarms, phone calls, you name it.)
3a) (If forcibly awoken during aforementioned sleep) Zombie-like state... Confused, extremely moody, and visibly shaky
3b) Total lack of balance and coordination.
4) Moderate to severe lethargy.
5) "Foggy brain", which feels kinda like you look when you are having a diabetic crash . It's like my brain is in a fog, and I can't clearly "see" my thoughts. I can't find words, and I can't put together a clear and intelligent statement or thought.
6) Lower GI pain and discomfort. Kinda like pre-diahrrea pains. (This usually appears about 20 to 30 minutes after breakfast)
6) A mildly loose BM with the following qualities:
--- LOTS of volume
--- A lot of burning as it comes out... Like it's really acidic or something
--- VERY foul odor. And not the "usual" stinky-poo smell. It has a "colostomy bag" odor to it, along with a tinge of heavy (yellow) urine (odor only, no color or anything)
7) Within minutes of the BM... The brain clears and the lethargy departs... And in some ways, I have more energy and am more clear than I am on a normal day.
Now - I've observed this condition for myself and it is definitely a real phenomena. I've also observed that there are some foods he can eat sometimes and it won't happen - and then he eats them at another time and it knocks him OUT. If you have ever heard of this happening I would be eternally grateful if you'd point me in some new direction because getting him diagnosed could be very helpful. So far the only treatment seems to be "no/limited carbs."
Thanks for sticking with the post this long!