Discussions By Condition: Digestive conditions

Should I See a Doctor?

Posted In: Digestive conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: nbainmyway
  • August 4, 2008
  • 09:26 PM

Hello all,

I am a new user here and hopefully you'll be able to help me out a bit.

I'm 21 years old, 5"8 and 120 pounds in great shape, and work at a physically strenuous job.

3 weeks ago I ate some steak cooked in too much balsamic vinegar and drank some wine with it... and it caused a sharp pain in upper left abdomen and in my stomach. I figured that it was indigestion or such.

As the pain proceeded I changed my diet to an indigestion-friendly one, cut out all smoking and alcohol, and kept on exercising and maintaining a healthy way of life.

The indigestion itself eventually subsided. At first I had rumbling in my stomach, pain in the abdomen... especially after eating, and so on.

Right now, 3 weeks later, I do not feel much pain, but I still feel a great discomfort in my upper left chest... a pressure. It is not painful, but it is very bothersome. The pressure increases and turns to pain if I eat something heavy, yet it is nothing compared to the pain that I first felt when all of this began.

My question to you is... should I see the doctor or will this just pass? Is it normal for indigestion to last that long?

I've been taking a Ranitidine based acid reducer daily and calcium based anti-acids tablets whenever I felt a little iffy. Is it safe for me to keep on taking the ranitidine (75 mg per day)?

I'm a poor college student with cheap health insurance coverage. Going to the doctor would probably mean not being able to eat much for a week or so, so I only want to go if it's absolutely necessary.

Any suggestions or advice would be more than welcome.

Thank you,


Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.