Hey everyone! Thought I might be able to get some insight from people who may be in the same boat as me. Sorry for the length!
I am (almost) 31. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos in 2000 and started taking 100 mcg's of Synthroid daily. I remained on that dose until August of this year when I was bumped down to 88 mcg's daily.
In September of 2002 I delivered my beautiful son. Although that pregnancy wasn't planned it didn't seem that I had any trouble getting pregnant and my son was born happy and healthy. In the months before I found out I was pregnant with my son I did have an early miscarriage at about 7 weeks.
My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for over a year now. Last March we found ourselves pregnant. Two weeks after we found out I started bleeding. I called my OB/GYN and she basically told me it was nothing to worry about and they would wait to see me at my 8 week visit. In early April I couldn't stand not knowing anymore and my husband and I went to the ER. The ER doctor told us we had a blighted ovum and that we would certainly miscarry. As usual they told us follow up with my doctor. The next day I saw my OB/GYN and the roller coaster began. They looked at my records fromthe hospital, did an ultrasound and more bloodwork and told me everything was fine, not to worry. The put me on Promertrium (progesterone). Over a two week period I had more bloodwork and more ultrsounds and they swore everything was fine. My OB/GYN refused to do a thyroid panel so I asked my GP to do it. My T4 levels were slightly elevated, but my GP said he didn't know enough about thyroid to understand how to treat it and my OB/GYN ignored it and me completely. In late April, we inevitably miscarried.
I questioned my OB/GYN asking him if this could be related my thyroid, or possibly to the abnormal ANA panel I had gotten back earlier in the year during a physical. I had both a homogenous and speckled pattern but the titer was low, 30. My GP was concerned enough to run another panel 6 months later (which landed after the miscarriage) but the second panel came back fine.
All of these questions led me to seek out the advice of a Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE). I went in with my entire history, including family history. My Thyroid disorder seems to be inherited from my mothers side of the family. My mother, her sister and most of her brothers all have thyroid disease, Hashimotos. We did a full panel and I can't remember if it was my T3 or T4 that was slightly elevated but that is when we lowered my dosage. Over the past year we have been keeping a close eye on my thryoid and everything looked good. In December we did the panel again and my RE also did bloodwork to check my clotting factors, everything regarding the clotting came back normal, but suprisingly my Thyroid panel was showing me as slightly Hyperthyroid. Not enough to change anything and it wound up correcting on its own as of my last bloodwork earlier this month.
In January I had an HSG done to be sure I didn't have any issues with my uterus or tubes. Shortly afer that I had bloodwork done to see if I produced enough Progesterone. My levels were borderline so the doctor started my on the Prometrium again.
My husband and I recently got pregnant, almost exactly 1 year from the time we conceived last year. In the beginning things looked good. I found out early and my HCG level was 17. Two days later my HCG was up to 171. I had a crazy lady moment and requested another HCG - the numbers didn't look quite as promising. After 4 days my levels only went up 200 to 371. Yesterday I went to follow up again and my levels had started dropping, we are going to miscarry.
After all of this history I have dumped on you my question is have I missed something? Is there something else I should be looking at with regard to my Auto-Immune? Should I be looking closer at the out of the ordinary ANA panel? Is it possible something happened after the delivery of my son that has prompted my body to now attack a pregnancy?
My husband and I are not ready to give up. My doctor has suggested Clomid, IUI, or IVF but I don't think we are at that point yet. I want to be sure that I have exhausted any Auto-Immune issues before I spend the money involved for any of those procedures, all of which are not covered my insurance.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and any and all advice is greatly appreciated!