Discussions By Condition: Allergies

Hives, Angioedema, Hospitals, Night Sweats, Fatigue

Posted In: Allergies 0 Replies
  • Posted By: supertgrl
  • November 25, 2012
  • 03:04 AM

Hello and Thank you for reading.

This is my first time posting about my symptoms anywhere, but at this point I'm at such a loss.

A little about me:
Age: 21 (almost 22)
Gender: Female
Occupation: College-Student, Division I Athelete
Previous Health Problems: None
Current Meds: Benadryl, Epi-penn, and Ibuprofen as needed
Surgeries: 4 Exotropia eye surgeries in 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2004; and tonsillectomy in 2003
Non-smoker; Social Drinker

June 2012
Got my first set of hives while taking a shower only on my thighs. Experiences mild hives about 4 or 5 times that month. It usually only appeared on one part of the body at a time. Normally I'd ignore it, or take a Benadryl if it was nighttime.

July 2012
Took a road trip to Maine with some friends. When we got to the hotel I have hives covering my ENTIRE body, head to toe. This particular episode lasted about 4 or 5 hours. Then it went away like always. However, after this my hives became much more frequent. I began having them at least 5 times per week and they almost always covered my arms. I started keeping a food diary...no correlation could be found to anything.

August 2012
Hives continue on as they were in July. When I returned to school at the end of August, I decided to see my doctor. On Friday August 24, she gave me an epi-penn and referred me to an allergist. That very night my eye got extremely swollen while I was at the grocery store with one of my friends.
Hospitalization #1: Sunday Aug 26- Thursday Aug 30
Sunday: I was hanging out in my friends dorm room, then my lips and tongue started to swell. I'm thankful I saw the doctor the Friday before, otherwise I wouldn't have had an epi-penn. My friends dragged me to the ER (I'm the type of person that doesn't go to the doctor and certainly NOT the hospital unless someone makes me or I feel like death). They couldn't get the swelling under control so they admitted me...for FOUR days. They sent me home on predisone, hydroxyzine, and zantac.
Friday August 31 I saw the allergist. Everyone I talked to said he was the best. He ran some blood tests since the ***** tests wouldn't react due to the high amount of steroids and anti-histamines I was on. All the blood work came back normal including ALL the allergy testing. He also said all the autoimmune testing came back 100% perfect. He told me to take Allegra in the morning and Zyrtec in the evening.

September 2012
I was still taking the Allegra and the Zyrtec, and was weened off of the prednisone and Zantac. And wouldn't you know it I was still getting hives. I went and saw the allergist again, and he said that since the Allegra and Zyrtec weren't working I could stop taking them, so I did. And of course the hives were still continuing. I went back and saw my regular doc at some point to see if she could shed some light on this...basically she said the allergist is going to figure this out, not me. Long story short, they both just looked at me at some point and said there was nothing more they could really do...hopefully this will all just go away.

October 2012
Hives continue...but seem to be getting better. Well my wishful thinking thinks thought they were getting better. At this point I just ignored them and continued on with my life. About mid-way through the month, I began experiencing mild fatigue, and noticing that I seem to be sick all the time with little things...a two week wet cough here, a cold there, a few stomach things, but then again I am in college and live in an apt with 4 other girls.

November 2012
Hives continue as usual...blah blah blah. Still feeling fatigued that seems to be slowly getting worse...things that used to be relatively easy to do become tiring.
Hospitalization #2: Sun Nov 11-Thurs Nov 15
Sunday: I was sitting on the couch at my apartment my lips began to swell. I immediately took Benadryl to try and prevent another trip to the ER. Two hours later my tongue and then my throat started to swell upon arrival to the hospital...long story short I ended up staying in the hospital for another 4 days once again. And once again all tests come back normal.

Last week:
We were on Thanksgiving break from school, so I went home and was so tired that I basically slept the entire week. This is unusual for me. I have a problem resting when I'm sick. I also started waking up in the middle of the night very sweaty for essentially no reason.

I am still really tired all the time. I can get 12 hours of sleep, wake up, eat some breakfast, and be ready to go back to sleep again. The night sweats have been doing on for about a week now, and since I'm back at school I know it wasn't just because my house may have been hot. I'm kind of at a loss on what I should do next. I have a doctor's appointment this week to follow-up on my latest hospital stay, but she kinda already washed her hands with me already 3 months ago.

Honestly, the hives and night sweats don't bother me, it's just the whole hospital nonsense and fatigue. If I could just get of those two things I can honestly just move on and ignore the rest.

Is there something that the doctor's are missing?
Maybe it's not allergies at all?
Should I see some other type of specialist?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated! :) THANK YOU

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.