Discussions By Condition: Allergies

advice for mysterious tongue swelling.

Posted In: Allergies 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 31, 2006
  • 03:36 AM

ever since i moved to hawaii, certain foods would make my tongue swell and i'd feel a stabbing sensation at the very tip. i can still breathe, luckily, and there are no other apparent side effects. the swelling usually goes away within a half hour or so. the foods i noticed it worst with were strawberries, pineapple and kiwi. one time i had pineapple juice and almost instantly, i could barely talk, my tongue was so huge. it doesn't happen every single time i eat any one of them, tho. it is a problem for me to eat any canned fruit, however. i did research on these foods and can't find a chemical relation between them aside from citric acid. yet orange juice doesn't do anything to me. then i ate a quaker granola bar today and got that sharp sensation on the tip of my tongue that preludes the swelling. i look on the back and read that they've added citric acid to the granola. so, for some reason, my tongue must not like citric acid as an ADDITIVE to food. that must be it. so if you ever get spontaneous tongue swelling without any other symptoms, check your diet, try to remember the last thing you ate before you started lisping.

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

  • I've got the same problem--mostly with restaurant foods that are supposed to involve lemon juice but likely use powdered citric acid instead. I can drink OJ and eat any and all fruits, but pineapple does cause a little tingling. Also, if real fresh lemonade is served with the lemon peels still in it. But the only thing that really makes my tongue swell is the powdered additive. Bizarre!!
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • January 17, 2007
    • 04:28 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • ever since i moved to hawaii, certain foods would make my tongue swell and i'd feel a stabbing sensation at the very tip. i can still breathe, luckily, and there are no other apparent side effects. the swelling usually goes away within a half hour or so. the foods i noticed it worst with were strawberries, pineapple and kiwi. one time i had pineapple juice and almost instantly, i could barely talk, my tongue was so huge. it doesn't happen every single time i eat any one of them, tho. it is a problem for me to eat any canned fruit, however. i did research on these foods and can't find a chemical relation between them aside from citric acid. yet orange juice doesn't do anything to me. then i ate a quaker granola bar today and got that sharp sensation on the tip of my tongue that preludes the swelling. i look on the back and read that they've added citric acid to the granola. so, for some reason, my tongue must not like citric acid as an ADDITIVE to food. that must be it. so if you ever get spontaneous tongue swelling without any other symptoms, check your diet, try to remember the last thing you ate before you started lisping.You are having dangerous allergic reactions. You need a prescription for Epi-pen and an allergy test to isolate the triggers.Healthy people don't have allergies. Your immune system is stressed- perhaps you suffer from intestinal permeability and or/ have a fungus or yeast infection in your gut.Take Care.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • January 17, 2007
    • 04:32 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • I am highly allergic to citric acid because it is a derivative (made from) of corn and I am extremely allergic to corn. You might want to watch other corny foods and see if maybe you are reacting to them as well.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • February 6, 2007
    • 04:42 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.